The theory of mind. A discussion on what we think others think.
September 15, 2020, 7PM, 2185 LBME
- Theory of Mind (Goldman)
- Theory of mind: The state of the art (Wellman)
- Theory of Mind and the Self (Happé)
- Why psychological accounts of personal identity can accept a brain death criterion and biological definition of death (Heshenov)
Artificial intelligence. A discussion on what we know machines know.
September 29, 2020, 7PM, 2185 LBME
- Ethical Issues of Artificial Intelligence in Medicine (Matsuzaki)
- Regulatory responses to medical machine learning (Minssen et al)
- Will artificial intelligence solve the human resource crisis in healthcare? (Meskó et al)
- Medical ethics considerations on artificial intelligence (Keskinbora)
Artificial parts. A discussion on what is replaceable.
October 13, 2020, 7PM, 2185 LBME
- Implant ethics (Hansson)
- Neuro-Prosthetics, the Extended Mind, and Respect for Persons with Disability (Anderson)
- Why Not Artificial Wombs? (Rosen)
- Going Out on a Limb: Prosthetics, Normalcy and Disputing the Therapy/Enhancement Distinction (Karpin & Mykitiuk)
Dia de los Muertos. A discussion on the celebration of the living and the dead.
October 27, 2020, 7PM, 2185 LBME
- Dead Bodies: The Deadly Display of Mexican Border Politics
- Primum Non Nocere Mortuis: Bioethics and the Lives of the Dead (Dees)
- Cultures of Death: Media, Religion, Bioethics (Hirschkind)
- The Day of the Dead, Halloween, and the Quest for Mexican National Identity (Brandes)
Democracy. A discussion we will choose to have.
November 10, 2020, 7PM, 2185 LBME
- Bioethics and Democracy (Jennings)
- Bioethics and Populism: How Should Our Field Respond? (Solomon & Jennings)
- Crowdsourcing in medical research: concepts and applications (Tucker)
- How Democracy Can Inform Consent: Cases of the Internet and Bioethics (Gould)
The coming administration. A discussion on our (new?) government.
November 24, 2020, 7PM, 2185 LBME
- Three Ways to Politicize Bioethics (Brown)
- Affording Obamacare (Buck)
- Confronting Deep Moral Disagreement: The President’s Council on Bioethics, Moral Status, and Human Embryos (Nelson & Meyer)
- The role of party politics in medical malpractice tort reforms (Matter & Stutzer)
Annihilation. A discussion on our obliteration.
December 8, 2020, 7PM, 2185 LBME
- Bioethics and the Metaphysics of Death (Taylor)
- The Ontological Representation of Death: A Scale to Measure the Idea of Annihilation Versus Passage (Testoni et al)
- The Nonidentity Problem and Bioethics: A Natural Law Perspective (Delaney)
- Controversies in the Determination of Death: A White Paper of the President’s Council on Bioethics
The madness of crowds. A discussion on popular delusions.
January 12, 2021, 7PM, 2185 LBME
- The Liverpool Cholera Epidemic of 1 and Anatomical Dissection—Medical Mistrust and Civil Unrest (Burrell & Gill)
- The Wisdom of Crowds, the Madness of Crowds: Rethinking Peer Review in the Web Era (Millard)
- The Hippocratic Thorn in Bioethics’ Hide: Cults, Sects, and Strangeness (Koch)
- The Importance of Complying with Vaccination Protocols in Developed Countries: “Anti-Vax” Hysteria and the Spread of Severe Preventable Diseases (Pandolfi et al)
Population control. A discussion on limiting ourselves.
January 26, 2021, 7PM, 2185 LBME
- Population Control Policies and Fertility Convergence (de Silva & Tenreyro)
- Contraception and its ethical considerations (Morgan & Datta)
- Must Growth Doom the Planet? (Nordhaus)
- The Population Control Holocaust (Zubrin)
Sex. A discussion on what we do.
February 9, 2021, 7PM, 2185 LBME
- Sex Differences in Institutional Support for Junior Biomedical Researchers (Sege et al)
- Sex as an important biological variable in biomedical research (Lee)
- Deciding on Gender in Children with Intersex Conditions: Considerations and Controversies (Thyen et al)
- The Use of Sex Robots: A Bioethical Issue (Nascimento et al)
Artificial life. A discussion on new forms.
February, 23, 2021, 7PM, 2185 LBME
- Is the creation of artificial life morally significant? (Douglas et al)
- Why Do We Need Artificial Life? (Bonabeau & Theraulaz)
- Artificial Life (Bedau)
- The Bioethicist Who Cried “Synthetic Biology”: An Analysis of the Function of Bioterrorism Predictions in Bioethics (Holm)
Infection. A discussion spreading to others.
March 9, 2021, 7PM, 2186 LBME
- Evidence and Effectiveness in Decision-Making for Quarantine (Bensimon & Upshur)
- The 1918 Influenza Pandemic: Insights for the 21st Century (Morens & Fauci)
- From SARS to Ebola: Legal and Ethical Considerations for Modern Quarantine (Rothstein)
- Responding to the COVID-19 pandemic: Ethical considerations for conducting controlled human infection studies (Shah et al)
Accidents. A discussion we were not meant to have.
March 23, 7PM, 2185 LBME
- Defining Failure: The Language, Meaning and Ethics of Medical Error (Schubert et al)
- Taking the blame: appropriate responses to medical error (Tigard)
- Medical Error and Moral Luck (Allhoff)
- When AIs Outperform Doctors: Confronting the Challenges of a Tort-Induced Over-Reliance on Machine Learning (Froomkin et al)
Virtual reality. A discussion like any other?
April 6, 2021, 7PM, 2185 LBME
- Internet-Delivered Health Interventions That Work: Systematic Review of Meta-Analyses and Evaluation of Website Availability (Rogers et al)
- Ethics of Virtual Reality in Medical Education and Licensure (Iserson)
- Wearables and the medical revolution (Dunn et al)
- Creating Bioethics Distance Learning Through Virtual Reality (Harfouche & Nakhle)
Abdication. A discussion on our renunciation.
April 20, 2021, 7PM, 2185 LBME
- The Idea of Legitimate Authority in the Practice of Medicine (Applebaum)
- Decentralization of health care systems and health outcomes: Evidence from a natural experiment (Jiménez-Rubio & García-Gómez)
- Vox Populi or Abdication of Responsibility?: The Influence of the Irish Citizens’ Assemvly on the Public Discourse Regarding Abortion, 2016-2019 (McNamara)
- Lifeboat Ethics: The Case Against Helping the Poor (Hardin)