A discussion on popular delusions.
- What is the optimal number of people solving a problem?
- Did we make the “right choice” in November?
- Why does it appear that “Fads and Fallacies” must be met with A Continued Need For Vigilance Against Fraud? Why can’t we snuff out the fakery for good?
- Across the country at this very moment there are thousands of people who would happily walk into a crowd with explosives strapped to their chest, detonate, and vaporize every nearby citizen. Now such people need merely walk into a crowd maskless to achieve similar results. Are we ready for the coming age of stochastic viral terrorism?
Readings to consider
- The Liverpool Cholera Epidemic of 1 and Anatomical Dissection—Medical Mistrust and Civil Unrest (Burrell & Gill)
- The Wisdom of Crowds, the Madness of Crowds: Rethinking Peer Review in the Web Era (Millard)
- The Hippocratic Thorn in Bioethics’ Hide: Cults, Sects, and Strangeness (Koch)
- The Importance of Complying with Vaccination Protocols in Developed Countries: “Anti-Vax” Hysteria and the Spread of Severe Preventable Diseases (Pandolfi et al)