A discussion on our obliteration.
- Let us consider a few possible routes we may take after death:
- We are reborn into the exact same body and live the exact same life;
- We slumber in the grave awaiting the return of a messiah, possibly with violence against good evil;
- We live, we die, we live again;
- We join the gods in Valhalla;
- We disappear into nothingness.
How would each affect us in life if true?
- If oblivion awaits, why mind the fleeting present moment? Why recall the days that disappear as a vapor into the fog of “history”?
- “The mystery no one knows / where does love go when it goes?“
Readings to consider
- Bioethics and the Metaphysics of Death (Taylor)
- The Ontological Representation of Death: A Scale to Measure the Idea of Annihilation Versus Passage (Testoni et al)
- The Nonidentity Problem and Bioethics: A Natural Law Perspective (Delaney)
- Controversies in the Determination of Death: A White Paper of the President’s Council on Bioethics