A discussion on the celebration of the living and the dead.
- How/Should we celebrate the dead?
- Does the current funeral/body disposal service in America cost too much, too little, or just about the right amount?
- The dead surround us. Buried into hill sides or vaporized into some carbon wafted in our nose, quite literally what were once about 100 billion other human beings now infuse our environment. Does this require us to treat our environment differently as it grows ever denser with dearly departed?
- Will the dead ever walk among us?
Readings to consider
- Dead Bodies: The Deadly Display of Mexican Border Politics
- Primum Non Nocere Mortuis: Bioethics and the Lives of the Dead (Dees)
- Cultures of Death: Media, Religion, Bioethics (Hirschkind)
- The Day of the Dead, Halloween, and the Quest for Mexicna National Identity (Brandes)